Kala Jamun Bangla Recipe
Recipe & Image: Tarla DalalPreparation Time: 15 mins, Cooking Time: 45 mins, Total Time: 1 hours, Makes 20 kala jamuns
For The Kala Jamuns
- 2 cups crumbled gulab jamun mawa (hariyali khoya)
- 1/4 cup plain flour (maida)
- 3 tbsp milk powder
- 3 tbsp arrowroot (paniphal) flour flour
For The Sugar Syrup
- 3 cups sugar
- a few saffron (kesar) strands
– ghee for deep-frying
For the sugar syrup
- Combine the sugar and 1½ cups of water in a deep non-stick pan, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 11 minutes or till the syrup is of one string consistency, while stirring occasionally.
- Remove any impurities which float on top of the syrup using a slotted spoon.
- Add the saffron, mix well and keep the syrup warm.
For the kala jamuns
- Combine all the ingredients in a deep bowl and knead very well into a very smooth dough.
- Divide this mixture into 20 equal portions and roll each into round balls, there should have no cracks on the surface as otherwise the kala jamuns will crack while deep-frying.
How to proceed
-Heat the ghee in a non-stick kadhai and deep-fry 10 jamuns at a time on a medium flame till they turn blackish in colour from all the sides.-Drain and immerse in the warm sugar syrup. Soak for 1 hour.-Serve immediately or serve warm.